When someone eats a low-carbohydrate or “keto diet”, or stays in a fasted state for an extended period of time, they will naturally enter a state of ketosis. In this metabolic state, your body burns body fat for energy, rather than glucose. However, some individuals find that nutrition alone isn’t enough to increase ketone production. During these times, ketone supplementation is necessary, to lead the body into a fat-burning state.
Keto Salts Made with BHB
The ketone found in exogenous ketone supplements is BHB. This is the most abundant ketone found in your body, making up 78% of the ketones found in your blood[*].
BHB is known for being the most stable, abundant ketone, and therefore the most efficient fuel source for your body. BHB has also been shown to:
- Slow tumor growth and help prevent cancer[*].
- Reduce the amount of inflammation in the body[*].
- Reduce blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity[*].
- Improve memory, decrease the risk of Alzheimer’s, and improve other cognitive functions[*].
- Improve heart health and basic metabolic functions[*].
Health Benefits of Keto Salts
Maintaining a steady ketogenic state isn’t realistic. Whether you ate a carb-laden meal during the holidays or enjoyed an evening out with friends, exogenous ketones can give you an extra boost in ketones. They can also be taken in between meals to provide a quick punch of ketones or before a workout for additional energy.
In addition, exogenous ketones come with a number of positive effects, including:
- They can help decrease unwanted “keto flu” negative side effects such as brain fog, low energy levels, light nausea, headaches, and other withdrawal symptoms that usually accompany the beginning stages of a low-carb diet.
- They can lower your blood glucose levels (within 30 minutes of taking them), which can help decrease your risk of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes[*].
- They can help reduce inflammation, a known cause of a number of diseases.